Posted by: Moggle | November 5, 2007

Out of the naughty corner and in to the FO pile

I finally got tired of the too long endpapers being a blight on my knitting achievements. Let me be clear in saying that the mistake is no fault of the pattern. Eunny’s pattern is well written and clear and the mitts are a great first stranded knitting project. They are a fun knit and I enjoyed making them (especially once I had the clover bamboo DPNs) until I discovered my stupid mistake.

Just to recap, here is the before shot. My second mitt has 10 extra rounds (1 pattern repeat) of fair-isle before the shaping for the thumb, and I was ready to bind off at the finger end [insert favourite expletive here].

ss850874.JPG

I found some grafting instructions online and started to prep my mitts by putting a circ through the stitches at the top of where I wanted to graft, and on the first line of the pattern.

ss850947.jpg

Then came the scary bit – the cutting and frogging.

I snipped one stitch of each colour near the top of the section I was removing. Then un-did to the top line, and frogged to the bottom section. Once I was at the first colourwork row I unpicked a stitch at a time to the ribbing. I had difficulty understanding how to pick up the purl stitches and decided this was the safest method.

Then I attempted to graft. It’s not really that pretty, in fact in several spots it has definitely turned in to garter stitch. But after blocking it flattened out quite a lot and I don’t think anyone will spot it unless they are looking for it. I can definitely live with a few lumpy stitches in preference to frogging back 3/4 of the mitt. This is pre-blocking

close.jpg

(Regrettably, I got so involved in cutting, ripping and grafting that I neglected to take the photo of the cut knitting. Sorry! )

Voilla, the finished mitt, now wearable.

finished.jpg

I have set myself some homework to do some swatching and really understand how the stitches are constructed so that next time I have to do this (and I have no doubt that there will be a next time) I can do a better job.

ss850954.jpg

—————

Edited to add the info I always want to know from other people:

Pattern: Endpaper Mitts by Eunny Jang

Yarn: Rowan 4 ply soft in 394 Dove and 372 Sooty

Needles: 3mm clover bamboo DPNs (1st mitt on horrible long metal) 2.5mm for ribbing.

Advertisements

Responses

  1. beautiful!!!!!!!!

  2. Well done! It must have been scary! And the mitts look fab now.

    Ruth/Woolly Wormhead has some great grafting tutorials – check them out if you’re interested 🙂

  3. They look awesome, and thanks for sharing this rather scary experience.

  4. Good for you for making the fix! They are gorgeous mitts and you’ll be glad for making them look right. On my last pair I had to rip out allt he way back to the thumb on the 1st one after casting off, because I’d made a horrible mistake in the pattern and hadn’t noticed. (it was obvious, I was oblivious) 😉


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: