Over on Ravelry I got inspired to start a Dye-along. The chosen technique was ‘spiral dyeing’ – dying a length of roving without repeating the colours. I don’t want yarn dyers to be left out and came up with this technique. (I doubt that I’ve invented something new, but I’ve never seen it before)
Materials I used:
1 skein superwash bfl/nylon sock yarn
Niddy Noddy (for re-skeining – you could also use the back of chairs)
Dye (I used Landscape dyes)
Using only two arms of my niddy noddy (or you could use the back of a chair, or a book), I re-skeined the yarn in to 5 smaller skeins. I twisted them up her to stop them getting tangled while I got them wet.
I then soaked the mini-skeins in water for about 10 minutes (longer probably would have been better but I’m impatient). I then squeezed them out and laid them on a long length of cling wrap on the kitchen bench.
I’m now all set up and ready to dye. You can see at the top of the picture the yogurt containers I use with the measured amount of dye in them. I opened the first skein out ready to take the dye.
Because it was superwash wool, I worked quickly to try to get the dye massaged in quickly. Superwash wool really sucks up the colour and I think I need to try a different technique. I was going for graduations from light to dark and this was the lightest colour.
Once I’d applied all my dye I wrapped the first mini-skein up in the cling wrap.
Then on to skein 2
And 3, 4 and 5. I twisted the cling wrap on the last couple like sausages because I did not want to take the chance of the dye spreading. If I were using non-superwash wool, I’d probably do this with all the little parcels.
I then spiralled the skein in to one of my dyeing containers (hence the technique being called spiral-dyeing) and microwaved it. I carefully rinsed out the yarn and pegged out each mini-skein.
The finished skein. I wound the mini-skeins from the back of a chair in to a centre pull ball, and then re-skeined on to my knitty noddy. This was actually the longest part of the process. I’m really happy with the result! Next time I might double-strand the little skeins so I could get two matching socks.