After a patchy start, I’ve got a reasonable amount of spinning done for the tour de fleece.
I finished 50g shetland heather singles. I’m struggling with slow spinning on my suzie, and I’m looking in to getting a slow whorl. I think these are a little under-spun and I still need to full them.
I really enjoyed spinning this UK Polwarth. I bought the fleece a while ago and had processed in to rovings by a mill. This is a 40-45g test dye (Port Huon colourway) and spin – about 90 metres. It’s so fine that I was worried I might felt it by dyeing it but it was ok. I have a limited amount of this but it will eventually make it in to the etsy shop.
On Saturday the guild had a ‘fleece to blanket day’ at the house of one of the members. We started with a raw, unwashed fleece and spun in the grease. We each spun enough yarn to knit a square which are eventually going to be turned in to a blanket. It was my first time spinning and knitting in the grease. The spinning was OK, but the knitting was a bit sticky. You can see photos from the day on Liz’s blog , and also Lyn’s square here – which washed up surprisingly creamy white.
After looking at cream fibre and yarn for so long I needed a bit of colour, so I broke out my backup – my grey merino in Meadowbank.
This was from a batch of 6 braids that I tried to rinse too roughly. They didn’t quite felt, but they compacted a lot. I was able to fluff them up again a bit but I’m not happy to sell them at full price. They still spin up pretty well though and I’m going to make a display shawl/shrug out of two for Fibrefest.
Some other people have been spinning Thylacine fibre too.
Cannycat is spinning up some grey merino in Suttons Tarn